From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Symlinking /usr/portage/distfiles
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 01:27:32
1 On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:45:26 -0700, Steve Dibb wrote:
2
3 > Not necessarily. tmpfs will start to use the harddrive when it runs
4 > out of memory, that being one if its nice handy dandy features.
5
6 Really? The lat time I tried putting /tmp on tmpfs on this box, I had
7 problems when VMware tried to save 512MB files there. I use it on my
8 laptop though.
9
10 I'll give it another try, perhaps things have changed since I last used
11 it, although Documentation/filesystems/tmpfs.txt warns of the dangers of
12 setting the size too high. Thinking about it, my problems may have been
13 caused by the default size being to low.
14
15 Even so, you'd need a huge swap partition to build OOo in tmpfs.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 Pentium is a risk processor