From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo list stats?
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 12:41:46
1 On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 9:04 AM, Neil Bothwick<neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 08:59:57 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >>    Not meaning to cause too much of a hubbub but I was surprised at
5 >> how much email traffic has fallen off for the Gentoo lists over the
6 >> last couple of years. I suspect that some of this is folks moving to
7 >> less technical environments - maybe Ubuntu or Arch - but still I was
8 >> surprised that it was something like a 60% drop since the high in
9 >> 2006.
10 >
11 > It could be a sign of the maturity of Gentoo. If there are less problems
12 > there will be less posts, since there are very few threads starting with
13 > "I did a world update today and everything worked perfectly".
14
15 Well, mostly I'd say that's true, certainly at the app level it's my
16 experience, but it seems to me that upgrades like Xorg haven't gone so
17 well this year. Maybe that's mostly an aberration driven by upstream
18 quality problems, but if my recollections are correct it wasn't only a
19 problem for me.
22 >> I was also surprised at the drop off on gentoo-dev as it sort of
23 >> correlates with my impression of bugs not being addressed as fast
24 >> these days.
25 >
26 > Or they are spending more time developing and less time flaming one
27 > another these days?
30 Now that idea puts a smile on my face but unfortunately isn't
31 consistent with my personal view of bugs getting fixed. Maybe I just
32 got hit a bit harder but my memory of how long it took to get an
33 ebuild fixed in 2006 was considerably faster. Probably I'm mistaken.
34
35 For me 2009 has been a pretty disappointing year in terms of running
36 Gentoo and the first year in the last 5 or 6 where I spent ANY time
37 seriously looking around at other distros. Nothing struck me as being
38 good enough to warrant putting the time in to learn it. Gentoo is
39 still what I choose to run. I hope the stats are positive in nature
40 but I know of numerous pro-audio overlay users who have left the
41 Gentoo fold this year. (They don't seem any happier to me so I'm not
42 following...) I hope it's not happening too much in the more global
43 community.
44
45 Thanks for the responses!
46