From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Simultaneously emerging multiple packages with same dependencies
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 18:57:48
1 On Thu, Jan 27 2011, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 17:09:27 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >
5 >> > So on a 20 package world update, only 19 are faster while the 20th
6 >> > runs at the same speed? Where's the loss there? Even if the last were
7 >> > slower, it would be worth it.
8 >>
9 >> Given the amount of time unpack/configure/install of most packages
10 >> needs (very short), my observation is that it would not be worth it.
11 >
12 > Even if that were true, how much time would you have to save to justify
13 > adding -j 2 to EMERGE_DEFAULTS in make.conf?
14 >
15 > But it's not true, large packages spend a lot of time on these phases of
16 > the install.
17
18 OK I'm convinced since I know that those phases do take noticeable time.
19
20 I have a "4" processor i7 model 620 (2 cores, doubled for
21 hyperthreading) and have set MAKEOPTS="-j5".
22 If I add -jobs=2 to EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, should I lower
23 MAKEOPTS to 3 (to 4)?
24
25 thanks,
26 allan