From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Building a test system
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 10:23:48
1 On Friday 24 April 2009 12:14:50 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > I want to install Gentoo on a spare partition as a testbed. It would have
5 > KDE4 and be ~amd64 throughout. My question is when to set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS -
6 > whether to do it at the earliest possible stage in installing, or build an
7 > amd64 system and only then add ~amd64 to make.conf.
8 >
9 > Which is the better option?
10
11 Do it at the earliest possible opportunity.
12
13 Otherwise you will emmerge world and update to a current stable system, then
14 amend ACCEPT_KEYWORDS and update to a current unstable system, effectively
15 rendering the first emerge world as completely useless.
16
17 Don't listen to people who will tell you cr@p like "starting with stable lets
18 you find problems and fix them first". This is nonsense as once you start
19 going unstable there is no going back, or at least no easy way to go back.
23 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com