From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] gnome menu question
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2008 03:29:33
1 G'day,
2
3 It has been my impression that the gnome-panel's main menu is based on
4 info in files in /usr/share/applications. However there are items in my
5 menus (for example, other/kate and other/kwrite) without files and
6 there are files without entries (for example, virtualbox.desktop).
7
8 I've tried 'killall gnome-panel' to force a restart and, hopefully,
9 rebuild the menu tree. The panel did restart, but the menus didn't
10 update and my icons for editor, mail, and browser were b0rked -- not
11 what I wanted!
12
13 Also, looking in ebuilds I've found menu and desktop related
14 directives, like "make_desktop_entry ..." and "doins ... desktop", but
15 sometimes /usr/share/applications doesn't have a corresponding entry.
16
17 Can somebody please explain how the gnome main menu is built, where it
18 resides, and how to force a rebuild?
19
20 Thanks.
21