From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] loop devices not present
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 07:59:15
1 On Wednesday 21 February 2007, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 >   If you want loopback devices to "just work", they should be
3 > compiled into the kernel, like so...
4 >
5 > make menuconfig
6 > Device Drivers  --->
7 > Block devices  --->
8 > <*> Loopback device support
9 >
10 >   My guess is that somewhere along the line, the "<*>" got changed to
11 > a "<M>".  Change it back to "<*>", recompile the kernel and any
12 > necessary modules, and reboot.
13
14 That would be true except I've beeen setting loop to <M> since many
15 kernel versions back. I actually suspect it's more a udev thing, there
16 has been a lot of activity and changes with the rules recently. But I'm
17 too rushed to decrypt all the rules syntax and see what changed.
18
19 In a way it makes sense to make udev not create loop devices by default.
20 If the user didn't ask for them, they shouldn't be there (aka
21 TheGentooWay). And 'loop' in kernel-2.6 fixes it all.
22
23 Thanks for replying,
24
25 alan
30 Optimists say the glass is half full,
31 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
32 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
33
34 Alan McKinnon
35 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
36 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
37 --
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list