From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Migrating a system
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 07:59:04
1 Hello Daniel Pielmeier,
2
3 > > Is it really necessary to back up /sys and /proc? What about /dev?
4 >
5 > I don't think it is necessary but it will consume almost no disk space
6 > so I don't worry.
7
8 /proc/kcore can get rather large. You are not only using the disk space
9 when backing up, but when restoring too. If you have 4GB of RAM, you will
10 waste 4GB of your root partition when you restore /proc/kmem, which could
11 be a problem if root is only a few hundred MB.
12
13 The --one-filesystem option would be useful here. I prefer to back up
14 each filesystem separately, since the main planned use for them is a
15 hosed filesystem I would hope to need only one of them (at most).
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 We are sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary.