From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo segfaults on virtualbox-4.1.14 when running on AMD bulldozer
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 19:26:00
1 On 04/28/2012 01:24 AM, Matthew Marlowe wrote:
2 > On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 04/27/2012 11:45 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>> On 27/04/12 22:35, Markos Chandras wrote:
5 >>>> I replaced my Phenom II cpu with a new 6-core AMD bulldozer. However, I
6 >>>> noticed that all of my Gentoo virtual machines throw (compiler)
7 >>>> segmentation faults when building or running any application.
8 >>>
9 >
10 > I'm not familiar with virtualbox, but I've seen similar issues occur
11 > with vmware and the solution was to at least temporarily mask whatever
12 > new cpu flags the new hypervisor was passing to the guest. In vmware,
13 > one could limit the cpu flags to maintain compatibility with various
14 > cpu releases which was especially helpful in clusters.... Yes, your
15 > gentoo vms should have been fine ..but at least until you track down
16 > the issue, see if virtualbox has a similar feature?
17 >
18 Interestingly this seems to be caused when using my wireless card to
19 bridge the virtualbox interfaces onto. I can't reproduce (yet) any
20 segfaults when I use the onboard ethernet card. I have the following
21 wireless card (supported by the rtl8180 kernel module)
22
23 04:06.0 Ethernet controller: Belkin F5D7000 v7000 Wireless G Desktop
24 Card [Realtek RTL8185] (rev 20)
27 Regards,
28 Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2