From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Can't paste from selection in gtk-3 apps
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 09:26:26
1 On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 16:22:00 +0200 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 [...]
3 > >> That is a single X11 screen spread across two physical monitors. It
4 > >> will not exhibit the gtk-3 selection bug.
5 > >>
6 > >> Are you sure you have two desktops and it's not just a single desktop
7 > >> that is spread across two monitors? Can you drag a window from one
8 > >> monitor to the other? If you can, then it's a single desktop.
9 > >
10 > > Yes, I can.
11 > > When I maximize a window, it's only on 1 screen.
12 > >
13 > > This is how it seems "right" to me.
14 > >
15 > > Why would I want it to be different? Eg. windows can't be moved between
16 > > screens? I don't see the point of having more than 1 screen in that case.
17 >
18 > There's a few reasons you might want more than one screen. Primary one
19 > is two heads and two video cards with different resolutions and dpi.
20 > Xinerama and big desktop et al will use the lower setting for both.
21
22 Another reason (e.g. my case) is one dual head video card, but
23 monitors with different dpi and colorspace. I tried xinerama: it
24 looks really ugly on such setup.
25
26 One more reason already mentioned by Grant is true for my case too:
27 in my window manager (e16) I can have independent desktops on each
28 screen, but not in xinerama mode. Probably this can be fixed in
29 software, but might require a lot of work. JFYI dwm allows
30 independent work on xinerama screens, but I have another issues
31 with dwm.
32
33 Best regards,
34 Andrew Savchenko