From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] adobe flash
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 12:41:57
1 On 22/07/14 19:48, Dale wrote:
2 > Bill Kenworthy wrote:
3 >> On 22/07/14 19:03, Dale wrote:
4 >>> J. Roeleveld wrote:
5 >>>> On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 05:05:43 PM Bill Kenworthy wrote:
6 >>>>> I have a couple of systems with flash that are always a pain to update
7 >>>>> because the checksums fail so you have to manually force a manifest
8 >>>>> rebuild first. As I have to update them anyway, is there a ways to
9 >>>>> override the portage checksums and say install anyway? Because this
10 >>>>> package always fails anyway, I cant see any security gain by having a
11 >>>>> manual update every-time anyway.
12 >>>> I would be more interested in finding out why it fails?
13 >>>> I use adobe flash myself and never experience a checksum issue with it.
14 >>>>
15 >>>> --
16 >>>> Joost
17 >>>>
18 >>>> .
19 >>>>
20 >>> Same here. I have it installed here and don't recall ever having a
21 >>> digest issue. It could be that something is off somewhere. If so, I'd
22 >>> rethink bypassing the checks.
23 >>>
24 >>> Dale
25 >>>
26 >>> :-) :-)
27 >>>
28 >> Hmm, that's interesting.
29 >>
30 >> Caused me to look closer ... I am pulling from http-replicator which
31 >> doesnt update the package if it cant see a name change (and adobe don't
32 >> change the name on the package - just the directory its pulled from) so
33 >> of course it fails checksum.
34 >>
35 >> Thanks for the hints to track this down.
36 >>
37 >> BillK
40 > Welcome. I wonder if http-replicator needs to check more than the
41 > name? I use it at times when I have more than one rig running and
42 > sounds like maybe it needs a new feature.
43 >
44 > Dale
45 >
49 The saving grace is that I have only seen the behaviour with this one
50 package so its something easily dealt with - now I know. Plus flash is
51 dieing so I might be able to do away with it before much longer -
52 unfortunately the OSS packages just are not as good. I've used
53 http-replicator for distfiles since it came out in ~2004 and its always
54 just worked. Oh well ...
55
56 BillK