From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] python 2 deprecation
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 02:59:50
1 On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 12:20 PM james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > I have removed all syntax/expressions from
4 > /etc/portage/make.conf
5 >
6 > related to python; hoping python-2 would just die a natural, slow and
7 > painless (for me) death, on this ancient gentoo install.
8 >
9 > Any and all comments related to what to check/do are most welcome,
10 > related to removing python-2*
11
12 Disclaimer: I'm not involved with the python team, so details could
13 change around this...
14
15 Right now that is your best bet. If you don't care about python,
16 avoid specifying python-related flags in your config files. Then
17 portage will just apply defaults wherever possible. It doesn't always
18 work, but that is mainly when packages can only support one version of
19 python at a time (which isn't too many of them).
20
21 As long as you aren't going crazy with accepting keywords then the
22 profiles should be updated so that python versions are removed only
23 after all the packages that depend on them have been removed, ideally
24 with newer v3 packages having been stabilized. I suspect this process
25 will drag out for months as everybody involved realizes that migrating
26 can be painful but it has to be done, so expect packages to steadily
27 get masked and to see v2 stuff start disappearing once the packages
28 that depend on them are gone. Users can always do overlays if they
29 want to maintain their own v2 forks, but I suspect this will be a lot
30 of work. Maybe somebody will step up and do it but I'm not seeing
31 many signs of it.
32
33 Some packages in Gentoo just aren't super well-maintained and so
34 upstream might have v3 packages that aren't in the repo. Bugs and
35 especially pull requests will doubtless be welcomed in these cases.
36 Just about every major distro is pushing to get rid of v2 so upstreams
37 that are dragging their feet are going to have motivation to fix
38 things or they just won't have any users left.
39
40 I'm sure at some point there will be a news announcement if users
41 actually need to do anything. I doubt the rug will just get pulled
42 out from under you. Even the package masks can be unmasked for 30
43 days until the packages start getting pulled which gives you a bit of
44 pain-free time to deal with it.
47 Rich