From: Ezequiel Garcia <elezegarcia@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't emerge gnash
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 20:39:04
1 On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > Developer here, too. Mostly C++ on Windows, though I far prefer the
5 > way Linux does things. :)
6 >
7 > In theory, using in-house code seems like a great thing. Having
8 > written it, I understand it, I understand its API, and it's not a big
9 > blob of unknowns for me to fear when debugging my programs.
10 >
11 > In practice, I've seen more time (and money!) spent reinventing the
12 > wheel for any given project than it would take to pull in a library.
13 > I've seen and participated, designed and/or led in the redevelopment
14 > of locking mechanisms, nested image compositing engines, database
15 > abstraction layers, deferred I/O abstraction frameworks and probably a
16 > half-dozen other things I'm forgetting right now.
17 >
18 > Each and _every_ time, a great deal amount of developer time is
19 > consumed at the outset with development, and then over the life of the
20 > code as bugs (some of which simply come from underestimating or
21 > misunderstanding the resulting complexity of the system) turn up.
22 >
23 > NIH costs. I'd rather use a widespread library than write my own,
24 > wherever possible.
25 >
26 > But, of course, that's just _my_ humble opinion. And each circumstance
27 > warrants its own cost/benefit analysis.
30 This is off-topic now :-( But it's a nice discussion :-)
31
32 I agree with you mostly. I think you're a bit biased against
33 rolling-your-own, perhaps
34 because working on windows enforces that -there are less open
35 libraries/programs you can reuse-.
36
37 Again, it's a great thing to re-use and it's evil to reinvent the wheel.
38 It has all sorts of advantages, we all know that.
39
40 On the other hand, as you say, each circumstance needs its own analysis.
41
42 Let me use an example: I'm writing a middle-size application in C++ that
43 will run on an embedded device, linux only.
44 Let's say I need some threads and some mutexes.
45 Heck, I'm not going to use boost if I can just wrap pthreads around
46 some lightweight classes.
47
48 Regards,
49 Ezequiel.