From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Panning desktop on windows
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 17:23:33
1 On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > This list may be too good for its own good... hehe.
3 >
4 > Sorry to bring this up here but in fact the behavior I'll describe in
5 > a moment is something I've learned to love from yrs of linux us with
6 > this enabled. Including the last few yrs on gentoo.
7 >
8 > I add this into xorg.conf in one of the display subsections
9 > (at the asterisks):
10 >
11 > Subsection "Display"
12 > Depth 24
13 > Modes "1280x1024" #"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
14 > ** Virtual 2048 1536
15 > ViewPort 0 0
16 > EndSubsection
17 >
18 > I'm using a 17 inch monitor so that (in X) gives me a 2048x1536
19 > virtual resolution in each of my virtual desktops. Bigger than my
20 > monitor a fair bit so I'm able to pan around this monster by mousing
21 > to the screen edges which pans the rest into view. Essentially the
22 > limits of the hardware desktop are only a port hole into the bigger
23 > virtual desktop.
24 >
25 > It can be very disconcerting to the uninitiated... which is a side
26 > benefit in that it keeps people off my machine.
27 >
28 > I use windowsXP a fair bit for video editing (I'm a semi-pro editor
29 > and produce quite a few videos of events) and I find the tools on
30 > linux are too labor and time intensive compared to the adobe tools
31 > available on windows. Even those tools and others like Vegas are hard
32 > to learn and require a lot of time spent in usage to get at all fast
33 > with them. (Please don't bring up one or another of the
34 > available emulations as that still introduces another layer of
35 > complexity)
36 >
37 > Anyway cutting to the chase here... given that I need to spend a good
38 > bit of time on windows... I sorely miss my huge virtual desktop.
39 >
40 > So wondering if any of you fellow part time windows users know of or
41 > have heard of any kind of application for windows that would allow
42 > such behavior?
43 >
44 > ps- I've also asked this question on the main
45 > microsoft.public.windowsXP.bla.bla group. (in case you were thinking
46 > of suggesting that)
47
48 It's definitely hardware specific. Windows will do this when your
49 desktop resolution is set higher than the highest resolution your
50 monitor supports. Normally, it does not allow you to do that, but it's
51 quite common when hooking up an external display (such as a TV). I
52 think Windows might be smart enough to not allow this on the primary
53 monitor. They consider it a bad thing(tm) and there are even some KB
54 articles telling worried customers how to "fix" the "problem".
55
56 paul