From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Boot has no space left.
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 23:21:14
1 William Kenworthy wrote:
2 >
3 > and don't forget to run "uname -a" to get your currently running
4 > kernel version and make sure you don't delete that!
5 >
6 > "IF" "uname -a" isn't the latest version you have in /boot, some more
7 > investigation as to why will be needed.
8 >
9 > BillK
14 Just to add another method.  I have uprecords installed here.  It lists
15 the kernels and their uptime.  I keep the last two with reasonably high
16 uptimes with fairly recent version and the most recent kernel.  I don't
17 upgrade automatically so I control what and when I update.  Of course, I
18 also have long uptimes as well.  My thinking on this.  I want kernels
19 that are known to be stable that I can use as a backup boot option but I
20 also want newer kernels that have fixes etc in them.  By keeping a
21 couple with long uptimes, I get stable kernels.  By also picking a
22 recent kernel version, I get a kernel that I can boot into to see if it
23 is stable.  Over time, the versions get higher on both parts.  When I do
24 my checks, I look for kernels with at least 30 days or more of uptime.
25 Generally, if a kernel can run that length of time, it is pretty
26 stable.  That said, I have some with many months of uptime.
27
28 When I upgrade to a new kernel, I run for a month or so and then
29 manually clean out /boot, that would include kernel, init thingy,
30 System.map and config files.
31
32 Seeing this reminds me it might be a good time to look into updating,
33 even tho I might not reboot for a while yet.
34
35 Just a thought.
36
37 Dale