From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backup questions
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2018 08:21:27
1 On 08/08/18 11:43, Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > Long story short that leads up to my questions, I paid off some debt.
5 >
6 Hi Dale,
7
8     what you are talking about is not a real backup but a single copy of
9 your data that may or may not be complete (the delete option you
10 mention) at a single point in time - not quite as useful as a proper
11 versioned backup.  Whatever your choice, also look at the restore
12 procedure - very important.
15 Have a look at Dirvish or borgbackup (both in portage) for what they can
16 do.  Having a space efficient store at regular points of time is a
17 lifesaver at times. To restore from dirvish its a copy from the selected
18 tree.  With borg its either restore with a command, or mount it and copy
19 the data out of the mount.
20
21 http://dirvish.org/
22
23 https://www.borgbackup.org/
24
25 I moved from dirvish to borg 12 months ago and they are both excellent.
26
27 BillK