From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backup questions
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2018 08:21:27
On 08/08/18 11:43, Dale wrote:
> Howdy, > > Long story short that leads up to my questions, I paid off some debt.  >
Hi Dale,     what you are talking about is not a real backup but a single copy of your data that may or may not be complete (the delete option you mention) at a single point in time - not quite as useful as a proper versioned backup.  Whatever your choice, also look at the restore procedure - very important. Have a look at Dirvish or borgbackup (both in portage) for what they can do.  Having a space efficient store at regular points of time is a lifesaver at times. To restore from dirvish its a copy from the selected tree.  With borg its either restore with a command, or mount it and copy the data out of the mount. http://dirvish.org/ https://www.borgbackup.org/ I moved from dirvish to borg 12 months ago and they are both excellent. BillK