From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Simultaneously emerging multiple packages with same dependencies
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 05:14:29
1 On 01/26/2011 02:12 PM, PK wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Is there any way to simultaneously emerge multiple packages (multiple
5 > instances of 'emerge') that share common dependencies ?
6 >
7 > I'm aware that portage uses locking mechanism before modifying 'world'
8 > file, but what about the actual building process ? I'd expect emerge to
9 > check if dependency package is already build/installed (or currently
10 > being build by another instance) and just skip it in this case, however
11 > I haven't tried it yet.. Can anybody shred some light on this ?
12
13 You can try, but the second instance with simply block until the lock
14 has been removed.
15
16 I'm not aware of any package system that supports this. I don't think
17 adding support for this justifies the added complexity.