From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Bug in run-crons?
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 18:21:49
1 Hi, it’s me again, :)
2
3 I’m currently improving the cron setup on my Gentoo-powered NAS. I installed
4 zfs-auto-snapshot, which includes scripts for hourly, daily, weekly and
5 monthly creation of snapshots.
6
7 The NAS uses fcron for its cron daemon. In order for the scripts to work,
8 I enabled the run-crons script from sys-process/cronbase, which runs all
9 scripts in /etc/cron.{hourly,daily,...}. But I have the feeling that there
10 is a bug in the script:
11
12 It uses state files in /var/spool/cron/lastrun/ to know when each interval
13 was last run, so it only runs once per period. But: the age threshold for
14 the state file is period + 5 minutes. Shouldn’t that be period - 5 minutes?
15
16 My reasoning: assume run-crons is run hourly, at the 0 minute sharp. So at
17 the next run, the state file is exactly one hour old. Since this is not old
18 enough for the check, run-crons thinks that the last run is too recent and
19 ignores this period. As a result, each period is only run on every other
20 iteration.
21
22 Any thoughts on that?
23 Cheerio.
26 Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
27 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
28
29 “Today I watched my first porn movie.” – “And?” – “I was so young back then.”