From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] wicd and net-tools
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 02:37:38
1 On Fri, Nov 25 2011, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >> In the last day or two wicd broke badly due to a net-tools upgrade.
5 >>
6 >> The recommended workarounds are to specify USE=old-output
7 >> for net-tools or to downgrade net-tools one version (I am ~amd64).
8 >>
9 >> Neither of these have helped me.  Wicd cannot start either the
10 >> wired or wireless interface.
11 >>
12 >> When I type
13 >> killall dhcpd; dhcpd
14 >>
15 >> Both networks come up but the wireless gets many errors (as reported
16 >> by ifconfig).  Also sometimes the network goes down again.
17 >>
18 >> Two days ago both networks were solid.
19 >>
20 >> Another machine that I was in the process of bringing up (gentoo fully
21 >> installed from the handbook, but many utilities not yet done) also fails
22 >> under wicd today (worked fine two days ago).  For this machine
23 >> killall dhcp; dhcp
24 >> reports that "no interfaces have a carrier"
25 >> The machine is 10 feet from the router/wap (linksys) and again
26 >> all was well 2 days ago.
27 >>
28 >> Help would be very much appreciated.
29 >>
30 >> thanks,
31 >> allan
32 >>
33 >> PS I couldn't connect yesterday and today, the new gnome (3.2) hit
34 >> testing.  Since I don't want to bite that big, potentially disruptive
35 >> update with this network problem (the overlay version failed for me), I
36 >> have not done an update world for 2 or 3 days.
40 > Not to be too glib but isn't this sort of problem exactly what the
41 > whole stable vs ~amd64 decision is really all about?
42 >
43 > Anyway, my machines are stable with a few ~amd64 entries in
44 > package.keywords. I don't keyword either of these packages and I have
45 > wicd-1.7.1_beta2-r4 & net-tools-1.60_p20110409135728 on my laptop.
46 > Both wireless & wired come up fine here.
47 >
48 > I have dhcpd on the machine but I don't run it.
49 >
50 > Not exactly sure how any of that will help you but I'm fully up to
51 > date as of today and everything seems to be working fine.
52 >
53 > - Mark
54
55 Right. I am running testing. But so are many on this list and I
56 believe many of those use wicd. I was hoping someone would have solved
57 this same problem.
58
59 allan