From: Bastian Balthazar Bux <BastianBalthazarBux@×××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xorg on my server (talk me out if it?)
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 23:00:02
1 Grant wrote:
2
3 >>>><>I'm definitely still a beginner. A chroot would allow me to do this?
4 >>>>Would I even need VMware in that case?
5 >>>>
6 >>>>What I'd like to be able to do is copy my current Gentoo server system
7 >>>>over to something (chroot, VMware, UML) and test emerges and
8 >>>>etc-updates on it to make sure nothing is broken. I would like to be
9 >>>>able to to test kernel changes, but I can live without it. UML
10 >>>>actually won't work at all because I use the hardened-sources.
11 >>>>
12 >>>>
13 >>You'll be able to test just about everything except kernel changes. For
14 >>kernel changes, you'll need either VMWare or another machine.
19 >That sounds pretty good to me. I'm sorry to persist, but I'd like to
20 >make sure this will work for me before I delve in.
21 >
22 >What do you mean by "just about everything"? All I really need to be
23 >able to do is browse the test version of my website and make sure
24 >everything is working OK after making the changes. Ideally,
25 >everything in the test version of my OS would be working exactly the
26 >same way as it does in the live version. What would the differences
27 >be with this chroot setup? For example, with VMware, the hardware is
28 >virtualized so you can't be sure there won't be hardware issues with
29 >the live version.
30 >
31 >- Grant
34 With a chroot you share the same devices (you do it with mount -obind
35 /dev/ /some/chroot/path/dev ) and the same kernel.
36 This translate in that you can running all that don't interfere with non
37 chrooted processes.
38 examples from my expirience:
39 1) You are running apache in the "real" server, it use port 80, some
40 devices read only (i.e /dev/null /dev/urandom etc) and the /dev/log link
41 to the syslogger.
42 So you can't run another apache in the chroot on port 80. but if u
43 change the configuration file to make it listen on port 8080 you are ok.
44
45 2) I had a opteron (64bit) machine and want to make IBM informix
46 database server running on it. Informix is a proprietary database that
47 don't have x86-64 libraries, and they don't link with a 64 bit enabled
48 system. I've builded a 32 bit system, and make running database server
49 inside, also there is a telnet server that run in the environment or the
50 database server.
51 In this configuration I need also a cron daemon, in both the
52 environments, here the solution is to make it running in the "father"
53 system and chroot every command that should be run in the chrooted
54 environment
55
56 There are also a lot of examples of chroot devoted to security.
57
58 A great part of the gentoo installation is done in chroot, the manuals
59 explain how to do the chroot from the livecd, but you can apply most of
60 that to a normal installed/running system.
61
62 Know in advance that you will need to study and learn a lot of stuff,
63 expecially if this is a real commercial environment.
64
65 francesco
69 >>James
73 >--