From: Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Different servers behind the same router
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 19:12:04
1 On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 01:47:00PM -0500, Saphirus Sage wrote:
4 > On Feb 3, 2009, at 12:43 PM, Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@×××××.com>
5 > wrote:
6 >
7 >> I have a home server running gentoo for personal use (irc, home
8 >> entertainment, file server etc.).
9 >>
10 >> It is reachable from the internet using a dyamic dns service
11 >> (dyndns.org).
12 >>
13 >> I also have another machine (running gentoo too) that I use as a web
14 >> server. This machine uses dyndns.org, with a different name.
15 >>
16 >> Both machines connect to my modem/router via pppoe so they get 2
17 >> different IPs.
18 >>
19 >> This modem can also be configured to be used as a router so it connects
20 >> directly to the internet and shares the same IP between the clients.
21 >>
22 >> What happens if I decide to switch to the "router" configuration? If I
23 >> have a single IP for all the machines in the LAN, when someone from the
24 >> outside will try to connect to homeserver.foo or to webserver.bar, will
25 >> they be routed to the correct machine?
26 >>
27 >> Are there other setups I should look into?
28 >>
29 >> =======
30 >> TopperH
31 >> =======
32 > Configure your router for static IP assignment on the LAN and look at your
33 > router's manual for information about "port forwarding." Simply forward the
34 > required port from the WAN to the associated LAN IP and port number.
35
36 Does it mean that I will need to have one single dyndns name and the
37 connection will be forwarded depending on the port, or I will still be
38 able to have different names?
39
41 TopperH