From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Accessing mailserver with ssh
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 23:56:50
1 On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 23:45:43 +0200
2 Alexander Skwar wrote:
3
4 > Mick wrote:
5 > > On 17/06/06, Raymond Lewis Rebbeck <dystopianray@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> You cannot use an ssh client in this manner.
8 > >>
9 > >> If you want a telnet client, emerge either netkit-telnetd or telnet-bsd.
10 > >
11 > > Thanks for all the replies. I had not emerged telnet so far because
12 > > of potential security reasons. Is netcat better in that respect?
13 >
14 > I actually know of no security problems with telnet. To which
15 > are you referring (note: telnet, not telnetd)?
16 >
17 > Alexander Skwar
18
19 I think this thread needs clarification (not specifically you
20 Aleaxander)
21
22 The problem with the telnet is mainly plain text passwords - your login
23 to a telnet server is plain text and easily snooped.
24
25 But using telnet to connect to a smtp server or web server for testing
26 purposes poses no threats. If you have to pass plain text credentials
27 via telnet (eg to log in to a pop or imap server) then the risk is
28 exactly the same as when your email client passes a plain text password
29 to the imap or pop server. In both cases it can be snooped.
30
31 If the service you want to log into is protected with an ssl wrapper
32 then tuse the openssl program to log in. For example to connect to my
33 imap server (from the same machine)
34
35 openssl s_client -host localhost -port 993
36
37 openssl responds with a whole lot of info about the certificate and so
38 on then you can type away just like a telnet session (but encrypted)
39
40 eg:
41
42 nick@www ~ $ openssl s_client -host localhost -port 993
43
44 (openssl spews out a whole lot of stuff about the certificate)
45
46 Then the imap server's opening greeting:
47
48 * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE AUTH=PLAIN ACL ACL2=UNION] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2005 Double Precision, Inc. See COPYING for distribution information.
49
50 Then I type (responses are marked >> for clarity:
51
52 1 login nick xxxxxxxx
53 >>1 OK LOGIN Ok.
54 2 logout
55 >>* BYE Courier-IMAP server shutting down
56 >>2 OK LOGOUT completed
59 This is exactly the exchange I get if I telnet to the non ssl port 143,
60 except telnet to port 143:
61
62 1. doesn't do a key exchange etc
63