From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bash prompt colours
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2021 14:44:13
1 On Friday, 3 December 2021 13:30:29 GMT Michael wrote:
2 > On Friday, 3 December 2021 12:08:05 GMT tastytea wrote:
3 > > On 2021-12-03 11:17+0000 Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
4 wrote:
5 > > > Hello list,
6 > > >
7 > > > Is there a way to set the colour of a bash prompt according to
8 > > > whether the user has SSH'd in?
9 > > >
10 > > > This machine is a compile host for some others on the LAN, and it
11 > > > would be helpful if it were more obvious that I'm connected to
12 > > > another machine. Of course, the standard prompt tells me the machine
13 > > > name, but something more conspicuous would help.
14 > >
15 > > When you are connected via SSH, the environment variable
16 SSH_CONNECTION
17 > > is set. I store the color in a variable and set it to yellow if
18 > > `[[ -n "${SSH_CONNECTION}" ]]`. I can't give you the exact snippet
19 > > since I use Zsh, but it should be possible to use a variable as color
20 > > in bash's prompt?
21 > >
22 > > Kind regards, tastytea
23 >
24 > This link expands upon tastytea's idea:
25 >
26 > https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/217270/change-ps1-color-when-> connected-to-other-host-via-ssh
27
28 Thank you both. Now I just have to shoehorn it into /etc/bash/bashrc on the
29 SSH server...
32 Regards,
33 Peter.