From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gallium and nVidia
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 15:42:43
1 On 29/07/2013 17:38, András Csányi wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > I would like to some clarification to support my feeling regarding
5 > gallium related use flags in mesa package.
6 >
7 > For some reason I have to rebuild a few packages on my machine and
8 > xorg-server and mesa are among them. I experienced that if the "xorg"
9 > USE flag of mesa is enabled then I got compiling error. After a little
10 > searching I could see that this use flag enables gallium3d.
11 >
12 > My question is that, as a nvidia user - I have an nvidia card and I
13 > use a nvidia driver from nvidia-drivers package - do I need this use
14 > flag? Do I need the gallium related use flags in mesa?
15 >
16 > Thanks in advance for any help!
17 >
18 > András
22 Don't use gallium with nVidia's proprietary driver. Gallium is the
23 architecture used by mesa for all open source 3D drivers (intel, radeon,
24 nouveau, etc).
25
26 nVidia bypasses all of that and does their own thing.
29 Alan McKinnon
30 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com