From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] qemu-kvm and libvirt: running an ancient guest
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 18:53:54
1 Sorry folks, I get OT again.
2
3 I already spent around 3 days now fiddling around with a new and shiny
4 virtualization server running am64.
5
6 Issue:
7
8 I have to run a guest which is old:
9
10 Suse Linux 6.1, with a 2.2.5 kernel.
11 ext2-filesystems in there ...
12
13 I run that one OK on an older gentoo-host with vmware-server 2.
14
15 That box has failing hardware and I want to get rid of vmware as well
16 (non-working webGUI etc) ...
17
18 So far the VM boots and runs, but the performance is laggy. Seems to be
19 the IO somehow.
20
21 Tried raw-files on xfs, tried LVs, tried various virtual CPUs, caching
22 on/off, you name it ... still bad.
23
24 -
25
26 At first I posted to the list "libvirt-users@××××××.com", you can read
27 that thread at
28
29 http://www.spinics.net/linux/fedora/libvirt-users/msg03556.html
30
31 Then I subscribed to another list:
32
33 https://www.redhat.com/archives/virt-tools-list/2012-October/msg00068.html
34
35 Still no helpful reply so far, and my customer gets angry (me too, in a
36 way ... 3 days, maybe one paid ... another story ...).
37
38 Does anyone of you run such old stuff within KVM?
39
40 -
41
42 Right now I have on the host:
43
44 gentoo-sources 3.6.1 (with all bells and whistles enabled libvirt wanted
45 me to enable)
46
47 qemu-kvm-1.1.1-r1
48 libvirt-0.9.13-r1
49
50 (-> stable ebuilds)
51
52 -
53
54 When I cp a file within that VM it takes ages ... unfortunately the OS
55 doesn't bring much modules with it so I can't just swap the virtual
56 controller for SCSI or so :-(
57
58 Another old guest with a slightly newer 2.2 kernel runs just fine ... I
59 just don't get it.
60
61 Corrupt raw-files?? Wouldn't fsck within the guest detect that?
62
63 What to chose for 32bit-guests ... arch, cpu, etc.
64
65 -
66
67 I am a bit helpless ...