From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] usb gadget support
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 13:23:03
1 On Sat, 2006-09-23 at 22:18 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I am looking at digital dvd/hard drive recorders for dvb, and I noticed
5 > that a lot of them are coming out with usb nowadays. However, all I can
6 > find out about the usb port is that it is for usb _devices_ like usb
7 > storage, not for an uplink to your PC.
8
9 and then I found this [2] on wikipedia:
10
11 "An extension to USB called USB On-The-Go allows a single port to act
12 as either a host or a device - chosen by which end of the cable plugs
13 into the socket on the unit. Even after the cable is hooked up and the
14 units are talking, the two units may "swap" ends under program control.
15 This facility targets units such as PDAs where the USB link might
16 connect to a PC's host port as a device in one instance, yet connect as
17 a host itself to a keyboard and mouse device in another instance. USB
18 On-The-Go has therefore defined two small form factor connectors, the
19 Mini-A and Mini-B, and a universal socket (Mini-AB)"
20
21 so it is possible in the usb standard - but is there a dvd/hd recorder
22 that has such capability and can talk direct to my PC (running gentoo of
23 course, to keep this discussion on-topic to the mailing list ;)
28 Good-bye. I am leaving because I am bored.
29 -- George Saunders' dying words
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list