From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: aligning SSD partitions
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 10:13:15
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 04:15:23 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>> You missed the point. One of the first thing emerge will do is to
5 >>> uncompress the package. At this time, all the files are cached in RAM.
6 >>> Hence, everything needed for the build/compilation will come from the
7 >>> cache like it would do with tmpfs.
8 >>>
9 >> You miss this point not me. I *cleared* that cache. From kernel.org:
10 > Sorry Dale, but you are missing the point. You cleared the cache before
11 > running emerge, then ran emerge. The first thing emerge did was unpack
12 > the tarball and populate the disk cache. All clearing the disk cache did
13 > was make sure there was plenty of space to cache the new data, thus
14 > speeding up the process.
18 One other thing, I am not just clearing the *disk* cache. I am clearing
19 all the *SYSTEM* cache. I can have all 16Gbs of memory in use, either
20 by programs or as cache, then run that command and it is then only using
21 what is in use by programs. It clears everything else. That includes
22 any cache that was stored there, disk or otherwise.
23
24 You need to run free, run the command to clear and then run free again
25 so you can see for yourself. If it was just me, I could think I am
26 wrong but this was tested by others too with the same results.
27
28 Dale
29
33 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!