From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MySQL startup problem - interface does not have an address yet.
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 15:04:50
1 On 23 January 2013, at 18:58, Manuel McLure wrote:
2 > … eth0 is not configured any more (it used to be used for IPTV
3 > connectivity to my cable provider for MythTV before they changes their
4 > system.) eth1 is configured via DHCP to an RFC 1918 10.x.x.x address -
5 > the DHCP server is always configured to provide the same IP address
6 > for this system. net.eth1 is symlinked to /etc/runlevels/default.
7 >
8 > The boot process starts, configures eth1, starts LCDd, and then
9 > attempts to start MySQL - and hangs for about 15 minutes before
10 > continuing with the boot.
11 >
12 > I added several debugging statements to /etc/init.d/mysql and found
13 > that even though the log shows that eth1 got its IP address, when
14 > MySQL attempts to start the interface does not have an IP address
15 > assigned. It's like the net.eth1 script exits before the interface is
16 > completely up.
17
18 I think, to be rigorous, I would want to test this system (I'm not saying you should keep it this way) by setting the IP address statically for eth1.
19
20 From what I'm understanding, this doesn't sound like a MySQL problem, but a DHCP problem.
21
22 You're checking the IP address with ifconfig - I believe that is deprecated. I guess at some point you might replace that in your `echo > test.log` scripts with the newer tools, just to make sure they say the same thing. Maybe this is paranoia, but you know what they say about that.
23
24 http://blog.timheckman.net/2011/12/22/why-you-should-replace-ifconfig/
25
26 > ...
27 > eth1: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
28 > inet6 NNNN:NNNN:NNNN:NNNN:NNNN:NNNN:NNNN:NNNN prefixlen 64
29 > scopeid 0x0<global>
30 > inet6 NNNN::NNNN:NNNN:NNNN:NNNN prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20<link>
31
32 I don't think these are valid IPv6 addresses. If you're not using IPv6 then I would recommend removing the IPv6 USE flag globally and remerging everything --newuse. This will ensure nothing is depending upon IPv6 or expecting it or waiting for it.
33
34 > The entries for eth1 in /etc/conf.d/net are:
35 >
36 > config_eth1="dhcp"
37 > routes_eth1="239.0.0.0/8"
38
39 Is this right?
40
41 > I could add a delay to the mysql script to ensure startup, but I'd
42 > rather figure out why the IP address is not yet available even though
43 > the net.eth1 script has completed. Does anyone have any hints on what
44 > could be going wrong?
45
46 There are several DHCP clients available in Portage.
47
48 You need to tell us which one you're using.
49
50 It wouldn't do any harm to experiment with one or two others.
51
52 I think that a busybox version may be installed on some systems, and that this may interfere or misbehave. I don't know if a bug report has been filed for this.6
53
54 Stroller.