From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] umask and sticky bit
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:50:43
1 On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 14:44 +0100, Jorge Almeida wrote:
2 > On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Albert Hopkins wrote:
5 > > You should probably use ACLs. They may also obviate the need to set
6 > > directory sticky bits to begin with.
7 > I know, but learning ACL will not be a minor task (I think).
8
9 POSIX ACLs are simple, and a logical extension of traditional
10 permissions. Anyone who has ever messed with Windows or VMS ACLs would
11 be comforted to know that POSIX ACLs are much simpler.
14 > > You did not explain why you want to do this, but you also want to
15 > > investigate whether g+s'ing the directory gives the effect you want.
16 > >
17 > It doesn't, but it would be the same problem, as to umask or similar.
18
19 You still haven't specified what exactly you are trying to accomplish
20 which makes it difficult to suggest a solution.
21 --
22 Albert W. Hopkins
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list