From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 03:07:20
1 On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org> wrote:
2 >> From: Neil Bothwick [mailto:neil@××××××××××.uk]
5 >> On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:50:04 -0500, Dale wrote:
6 >>
7 >> > So throw out my plans and just do it their way?  In that case, I may
8 >> > as well use Fedora since it sort of started there.  Maybe that is what
9 >> > they wanted and planned.
10 >>
11 >> According to Greg K-H, who I tend to trust, this did not come from Red
12 > Hat.
13 >> It's just that a couple of the devs are employed by them. Others are not.
14 >
15 > I was particularly interested to find out that Solaris started merging / and
16 > /usr 15 years ago, so in reality, the "true UNIX way" that Linux is
17 > following has long since been abandoned by UNIX :)
18
19 There is so much BS being spewed around this topic, I'm genuinely
20 disgusted. It's enough to lead me to suspect that Linux, as a
21 platform, is *dying*. Given that Linux has been my primary platform
22 for most of my life, that bothers me no small amount.
25 The "true UNIX way" is about KISS philosophy. Keep it Simple, Stupid.
26 Keep things small, well-defined and modular. Break things into
27 components, keep the components small and relatively well-defined. A
28 *system* can be complex, but as long as it's well-organized,
29 sufficiently large pieces of it may be grokked independently of
30 others.
31
32 Some packages eschewed that philosophy. Rather than say "fix your
33 crap", the udev developers threw their hands in the air and said "we
34 don't care; it's the responsibility of the distro maintainer to make
35 sure that thinks are in shape before we get launched." Except that the
36 only kind of distro for which it'd work reliably would be distros
37 which don't have a rolling release behavior; the maintaners can get
38 everything organized for a release, and then set things in stone.
39 Gentoo, Arch, Debian/testing and Mint/Debian are in for a bumpy ride,
40 for as long as this crap lasts. Well, either that, or understanding
41 initramfs, symbol versioning and dynamic linking is going to become a
42 more important a skill than shell scripting. All aid tools will break
43 at one time or another, and we'll be have to learn how to fix them, or
44 give up operating configurations that our own experience have taught
45 us were the best for our circumstances.
48 :wq