From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/sda* missing at boot
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 19:14:20
1 On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 2:59 PM, <frares@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi, guys
4 >
5 > It is a shame, I know, but after several years using Gentoo, it is the first time I try to build a kernel without "genkernel".
6 >
7 > And now I can't boot to that new kernel, it does not find (and really do not have a) /dev/sda* root partition ("real-root"); during the boot it stops, complaining about that, gives me the option to get a shell, from which I am able to see that there is no /dev/sda* .
8 >
9 > I have included everything SATA, so it looks like that is not a kernel problem, but a initramfs issue, I guess.
10
11 If you've got a SATA controller, no frills, then all you *really* need
12 is AHCI. Build that into your kernel if you're worried about having
13 the right modules in initramfs. You can break it out into a module
14 later if you like. Opinions differ as to how much stuff should be
15 broken into modules vs being built-in to the kernel. I tend to build
16 in everything absolutely needed for boot, myself. Some people build in
17 just about everything, and some people build in almost nothing.
18 There's no "right" way for every use case.
19
20 Also, check your BIOS to see if it's running your SATA controller in
21 some kind of IDE emulation mode. If it is, disable that. (Some
22 motherboards let you choose between "IDE" and "RAID", where "RAID" is
23 AHCI mode. Others call IDE mode 'legacy', and still others might
24 actually call the AHCI mode 'AHCI')
25
26 Motherboards running SATA controllers in IDE emulation mode is an
27 incredibly common thing:
28
29 17:18 <@IRule> beh
30 17:18 <@IRule> hda1 turned into sda1
31 17:19 < shortcircuit> IRule: Turn SCSI-generic support, or did you
32 switch from legacy to AHCI in your BIOS?
33 17:20 <@IRule> shortcircuit: quiet, you
36 :wq