From: Bob Sanders <rmsand@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Please confirm my understanding
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 15:23:53
1 On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 21:41:15 -0400
2 "C.Beamer" <cbeamer@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA1
6 >
7 > Now for the question. I need confirmation of my understanding. In
8 > the make.conf file when setting up the USE flags, I include anything
9 > that I want to have compiled into the programs that I install,
10 > correct? If I don't want an option to be compiled in all programs, I
11 > prefix that with a - sign. If I want an option for a specific
12 > package, I use the package.use file.
15 As Willie and Mark stated, I'll add a - sort of.
16
17 > So, if I don't want to compile gnome, then I use -gnome as one of the
18 > keywords. I don't use gnome, never have, never will, but there are
19 > gnome applications that I like - gnumeric to name one, plus there are
20 > a few gnome games. So, is it my best bet to include -gnome as a
21 > keyword in my make.conf USE statement and the add it in the
22 > package.use file for those applications that need it?
25 I'm pretty much with you on using gnumeric and not gnome. Same with
26 kworldclock but not kde. And I started out using - -gnome and -kde. But
27 have just stopped the practice. I just use -* at the beginning of my USE
28 flags and select all the things I do want.
29
30 The problem with -* is it makes everything minimal so you have to spend a
31 lot of time adding in the things you want. To me that's preferable to getting
32 a lot of what I don't want tagging along. Also, it insure that PAM stays off
33 my system.
34
35 Bob
36 -