From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VGA-out & screen aspect ratio
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 17:18:05
1 >> I've only ever used my laptop's VGA-out into 4:3 screens and it always
2 >> works great.  I've now plugged it into a 16:9 screen for the first
3 >> time, and it still displays 4:3 on that screen and on my laptop.  Is
4 >> there a way for it to detect the proper aspect ratio?  Maybe it
5 >> depends on the monitor's EDID?  If not, can I manually change the
6 >> aspect ratio?
7 >>
8 >> - Grant
9 >
10 > Not sure about how well it will work automatically, but try running
11 >
12 > xrandr
13 >
14 > and reading the output. It should tell you what monitors you have
15 > hooked up and what resolutions and scan frequencies they support. I
16 > did this and then put the ones I wanted into my xorg.conf file and was
17 > good to go.
18 >
19 > Hope this helps,
20 > Mark
21
22 Thanks Mark. Is there a slick way to restart xorg without rebooting
23 so you can switch between VGA-out mode and non? When I'm doing
24 VGA-out, my laptop's screen changes to match the aspect ratio of the
25 output so it's good to be able to switch.
26
27 - Grant