From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Basic Vmware setup
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 17:38:34
1 On 11/11/06, Hans de Hartog <dehartog@××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I guess that vmware can do the job. In windows
3 > I need internet access with IE and I must be
4 > able to print some webpages to a printserver
5 > (gentoo+cups).
6 > What to use? Vmware server, workstation or
7 > player? The descriptions are not clear about
8 > the differences.
9
10 I would suggest to try vmware server first. I have run all three, and
11 the biggest differences between them are:
12
13 player: can only use existing virtual machine configurations, it
14 cannot edit or create them. Equivalent performance to workstation.
15 Also has a very nice full-screen mode. Free (beer).
16
17 workstation: best all-around performance for desktop tasks. Can
18 create or edit existing configurations, has excellent (2D only)
19 graphics performance. Costs some $'s.
20
21 server: Can create or edit existing configurations. Can leave a
22 virtual machine running "in the background" if you close the console
23 window or even logoff. The console can also access virtual machines
24 across the network. The downside to all of this goodness is that
25 graphics performance suffers...something like accessing a remote
26 system with VNC. Free (beer).
27
28 All have equivalent capabilities for accessing the network, and the
29 guest OS never really knows that it is running in a virtual machine.
30
31 Note that it is entirely possible to use server to create virtual
32 machines, and then use player to run them, if the graphics performance
33 bothers you too much.
34
35 -Richard
36 --