From: Collins Richey <crichey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Local portage repository
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 00:16:01
1 On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 18:14:20 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 11:36:18 +0530 Andrew Cowie
3 > <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > | I would refine that, however, to /opt being a place where things
5 > | outside of package control are permitted [my personal view, now FHS or
6 > | Gentoo policy or anything] whereas anything going into /usr MUST be
7 > | under the OS's discipline.
8 > |
9 > | For instance, I untar the binary blob I get from download.eclipse.org
10 > | in out in /opt/eclipse, that sort of thing.
11 >
12 > Guess I might as well explain Gentoo policy on this.
13 >
14 > /usr is for portage-installed apps. Don't install your own things with
15 > --prefix=/usr, portage is totally entitled to clobber them as it sees
16 > fit.
17 >
18 > /usr/local is for user-installed apps. Portage-installed apps won't
19 > touch this.
20 >
21 > /opt is used by portage for some packages which are not built from
22 > source (typically packages which come in foo and foo-bin variants).
23 > There are certain developers who want this behaviour changed (or better
24 > yet, -bin packages removed) :)
27 Agreed, except for removing the -bin packages. OTOH, Ciaran, this
28 doesn't quite explain your regard for /opt as an abomination.
31 Collins
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list