From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerge
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 19:23:47
1 On Saturday, April 16, 2016 12:41:37 PM Alan Grimes wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 > > Basically, take the advice from some people who have been doing this
4 > > for years or continue along the path that you have proven doesn't work.
5 >
6 > I've got more years on gentoo that most of you. Indeed, my home
7 > directory probably has detritus in it dating back to 2004.
8
9 And haven't learned a few basic skills since?
10
11 > I only joined this list a few months ago because emerge was starting to
12 > cause problems, which have only gotten worse with subsequent updates.
13
14 Hmm.... 12 equals a few?
15 By that logic, you only have been using Gentoo for a few years...
16
17 > I am speaking from many years of experience with weekly updates when I
18 > tell you that ubuntu-style "update everything while I go play Space
19 > Invaders" (Or Kerbal Space Program) absolutely does work unless emerge
20 > decides to get stupid and look for excuses not to do what you asked it
21 > to. The problem is absolutely not the individual e-builds, most of them
22 > are stunningly reliable. The problem is that Emerge isn't even giving
23 > them a chance to do their work. =| This is not the way it used to be,
24 > this is a new set of checks that have been implemented recently that's
25 > really fucking me up.
26
27 Portage has become a lot more stable in the past couple of years compared to
28 when I first started.
29 Even the messages about what the problems are have become easier to read.
30
31 For the "difficult" changes, the upgrade guides the devs create are very clear
32 and easy to follow.
33
34 Have you actually TRIED to learn how to use the tools provided? Or are you the
35 kind of person that will happily use a rock to hammer in a screw?
38 Joost