From: "John P. Burkett" <burkett@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: revdep-rebuild problem
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 15:44:21
1 ABCD wrote:
2 > John P. Burkett wrote:
3 >> Doing revdep-rebuild on an amd64 machine, I received a response
4 >> the included the following lines:
5 >> * All prepared. Starting rebuild
6 >> emerge --oneshot app-text/xpdf:0
7 >> gnome-base/gnome-panel:0
8 >> kde-base/kdegraphics:3.5
9 >> mail-client/-MERGING-evolution:2.0
10 >> media-plugins/gst-plugins-faad:0.8
11 >> media-plugins/xmms-alsa:0
12 >> media-plugins/xmms-vorbis:0
13 >> media-video/totem:0
14 >> ..........
15 >> Calculating dependencies... done!
16 >> emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy
17 >> "mail-client/-MERGING-evolution:2.0".
18 >
19 >> After doing emerge -C evolution, I redid revdep-rebuild but got the same
20 >> response. After doing emerge evolution, I again redid revdep-rebuild,
21 >> with the same results.
22 >
23 >> Suggestions for how to successfully run revdep-rebuild would be most
24 >> welcome. I'm willing to sacrifice evolution if that would help.
27 > A directory named "$(portageq vdb_path)"/*/-MERGING-* (where $(portageq
28 > vdb_path) is usually /var/db/pkg) is created when portage is installing
29 > a new version of a package/a new package. It is then moved to the same
30 > name without the -MERGING- part after the old version (if any) is
31 > removed. The only way that that directory would be able to exist in
32 > normal usage is if either 1) you are in the middle of a merge, or 2)
33 > emerge suddenly quit in the middle of an operation. Usually, when I've
34 > had this happen, and didn't catch it right away, I would `emerge -C
35 > package`, then mv /var/db/pkg/cat/-MERGING-pkg-ver
36 > /var/db/pkg/cat/pkg-ver, then `emerge -C package` again, to ensure a
37 > clean system. Then all that would remain is `emerge -1 package` to get
38 > it back on the system. This might not be the best way to do it, but
39 > I've found it to work.
40 Your suggestions worked perfectly. Thank you very much!
41 -John