From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 100% CPU usage with no processes to blame?
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:17:43
1 On 2/15/07, Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za> wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 14 February 2007, brullo nulla wrote:
3 > > > Most likely you only looked at user cpu % and neglected to list the
4 > > > system and niced times as well.
5 > > >
6 > > > p.s. golden rule: ps lies. top lies. free lies.
7 > > > Don't believe the readings they give, rather interpret them in
8 > > > context.
9 > >
10 > > sob. it's not the first time I hear this. What should I believe to
11 > > really know my system state?
12 >
13 > You should use ps, top and free of course! Just realize that they lie...
14
15 Seeing this thread reminded me of a blog article I saw on Virtual
16 Threads a while back...
17 http://virtualthreads.blogspot.com/2006/02/understanding-memory-usage-on-linux.html
18
19 He does a pretty good job of explaining where top gets its numbers and
20 how to properly interpret them. HTH
21
22 -mike
26 Michael E. Crute
27 http://mike.crute.org
28
29 God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things.
30 Right now I am so far behind that I will never die. --Bill Watterson
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list