From: "Yuri K. Shatroff" <yks-uno@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 13:42:14
1 24.02.2014 16:39, Mark David Dumlao пишет:
2 > On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Yuri K. Shatroff <yks-uno@××××××.ru> wrote:
3 >> 24.02.2014 02:32, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>> [1] For lack of a better term, let's just call systemd here a "system
5 >>> controller". What is this ONE thing a system controller should do and do
6 >>> it well?
9 >> An init daemon generally does one thing well.
10 >
11 > it's obvious you haven't thought this through.
12 >
13 > consider, for a moment, that the "one thing well" that an init daemon
14 > is supposed to do is
15 > "run programs that do arbitrary things to get the system to an arbitrary state".
16 >
17 > do you not see a problem?
18
19 No. As you say, ``an init daemon is supposed to do is "run programs``,
20 until here you're right, but then you start talking about things the
21 init doesn't do but the programs do. In your wording, an init daemon is
22 also a DBMS, an MTA, a network startup daemon, a firewall, a getty and
23 whatever program runs on the system.
24 There was a post in this thread with a link to an opinion what an `ideal
25 init` would do: just fork and exec anything in /etc/init.d or somewhere
26 else.
27 In the real world, it's of course not so simple. But it doesn't mean you
28 may imply init's responsibility for `arbitrary` tasks. If I write an ASM
29 program with an illegal instruction, is it the init's problem? If my
30 mail/web server is DDOSed, is it the init's problem? If my HDD dies,
31 also the init's problem?
34 Regards,
35 Yuri K. Shatroff