From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] glibc 2.12.1-r1 seems to not be working correctly
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 20:25:48
1 On Sunday 22 August 2010, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Apparently, though unproven, at 20:57 on Sunday 22 August 2010,
4 > >
5 > > covici@××××××××××.com did opine thusly:
6 > > > > There is a way to downgrade for the brave.
7 > > > >
8 > > > >
9 > > > >
10 > > > > quickpkg glibc
11 > > > > move the 2.11.? version ebuild you want to your local overlay.
12 > > > > Edit it and find the check that disallows downgrades. Comment it out.
13 > > > > Mask glibc2.12
14 > > > > update glibc
15 > > > >
16 > > > >
17 > > > >
18 > > > > At this point it's probably very wise to rebuild at least system,
19 > > > > then revdep- rebuild. Note that rebuilding system might fail in
20 > > > > which case you are really up the creek.
21 > > > >
22 > > > >
23 > > > >
24 > > > > Feel free to rip to pieces the dev that committed this version. It
25 > > > > could not possibly have undergone decent testing
26 > > >
27 > > > I have another idea -- what would I have to restore from backup to
28 > > > completely cancel the entire update process I have done since yesterday
29 > > > -- and then I could mask off the bad glibc and be back to something at
30 > > > least somewhat consistent?
31 > >
32 > > I too have another idea - look at emerge.log and tell us what you emerged
33 > > since yesterday. Then restore those packages.
34 >
35 > If I tried that -- how would I downgrade glibc in the process -- I am
36 > sure I could figure out all the packages, but that downgrade scares me
37 > -- would I do the packages in reverse order, or what? I also changed my
38 > gcc before this update, I could certainly reverse that as well.
39
40 you can also leave that glibc version in place. Only a few packages are
41 affected, most are fixed already. Just sync and retry the failing package.
42 No need to downgrade glibc and recompile a bunch of packages. Besides, between
43 2.12.1 and 2.12.0 you should not need to recompile anything.