From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mkfs.reiserfs hangs system?
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 17:01:06
1 On Thu, April 25, 2013 18:08, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > On Apr 25, 2013 10:37 PM, "Michael Hampicke" <mh@××××.biz> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Am 25.04.2013 17:25, schrieb Pandu Poluan:
5 >>
6 >>> Just wondering if any of you guys experienced this lately:
7 >>>
8 >>> System hangs when creating a brand-new ReiserFS on a new partition.
9 >>>
10 >>> I've tried using the latest gentoo minimal CD, or the latest
11 >>> SystemRescueCD, both exhibited the same.
12 >>>
13 >>> I'm on an HP DL585 G7 box, by the way, so it's using an AMD CPU.
14 >>>
15 >>> I'd appreciate any suggestions. My Google-fu all expose only old
16 >>> threads.
19 >> Are there any error/warnings in dmes or the logs?
20 >>
21 >> Maybe the disk is toast? Can you create other file systems?
24 > Can't get to see dmesg, the system locked up tight.
25
26 Does it lock every time you try?
27 Or did you only try once?
28
29 > I can create an ext4 fs on a different partition,
30
31 Does it work on the SAME partition? Eg. having it touch the same physical
32 parts of the same physical disk?
33
34 > and since the 'disk' is
35 > actually a RAID array, if the array is going south, I should see the same
36 > problem with ext4, right?
37
38 Not necessarily, a bad part on 1 disk will also mean a bad part on the
39 raid-array. The array should be able to recover though.
40
41 Is this hardware raid? Or software?
42 And what type of disks are you using?
45 Joost