From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT: mobo and Ati video
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 15:25:36
1 Hello,
2
3 I was not certain that this posting is OT, so
4 I labeled it that way, to keep everyone
5 happy by default. I've been scrounging
6 newegg to build a fast (AMD_ATI) workstation
7 that is also cost effect (much thanks to Dale).
8
9 I'm a bit obsessive, so be forewarned.
10
11 ISSUE:
12 Ati video (mux/mix)ing video cards:
13
14 Crossfire is but one ati video technology
15 that allows a mobo to mix(use) multiple
16 video processors (GPUs) on the same mobo.
17
18 I thought I had found my mobo:
19 http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3516#ov
20
21 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128435
24 This snippet gives me pause:
25
26 ATI Hybrid Graphics is a technology umbrella brand encompassing several
27 technologies, such as ATI Hybrid CrossFireX™, ATI SurroundView™, ATI PowerPlay™,
28 etc. that allow both an AMD integrated graphics processor and a discrete
29 graphics processor to work co-operatively on an AMD based system to provide
30 enhanced gaming performance, productivity and platform efficiency to the
31 mainstream PC.
32 * Please use ATI Hybrid CrossFireX certified DX11 VGA card (i.e., ATI Radeon HD
33 5450, etc.), detail information please refer to AMD website.
36 But I want to use this fanless video card:
37 SAPPHIRE Ultimate 100289UL Radeon HD 5670 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI
38
39 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102902
40
41 Questions:
42
43 So will the onboard ATI 4290 work with the 5670,
44 under Gentoo?
45
46 If so ati-drivers only or will the opensource (radeon
47 drivers too)?
48
49 Anyone got experience with this video card or mobo?
50 Will they work together (which video driver)?
51
52 I've had Asus Crossfire mobo's that are very picky
53 about the video card.
54
55 Guidance and comments are most welcome.
56 (Naturally the system will run Gentoo)...
59 James