From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [WAS: keyboard stops working] Recent kernels block the loading of non-GPL kernel modules
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 07:57:29
1 Am Tue, 18 Aug 2015 21:54:30 -0400
2 schrieb Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>:
3
4 > I do get the frustration of the kernel developers. The GPU makers
5 > should be competing on their GPUs, not on their drivers. However,
6 > Linux isn't their main market and forcing the issue is probably just
7 > going to drive them to ignore it.
8
9 I know that AMD is writing a new kernel module to be integrated into the kernel,
10 on top of which their proprietary driver will then operate (it is reported that
11 the open-source driver can/will also profit from this). Thus it's the reality
12 *now* that at least one GPU manufacturers is trying to deal with this properly.
13
14 Personally, I am under the impression that the point where GPU manufacturers
15 could opt to ignore Linux completely passed some time ago (I'm no expert, but I
16 know that the gaming market isn't the only market for GPUs).
19 Marc Joliet
20 --
21 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
22 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup