From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How recent is this Gentoo documentation?
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 02:53:36
1 On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 10:34 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > 150328 Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 >> I am on the way to configure linux-3.19.3 (vanilla)
4 >> and want to start with kexec.
5 >> On the internet via google I found this (first hit):
6 >> https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-294644-start-0.html
7 >> Is this still up to date and useable?
8 >
9 > That dates from 2005 .
10 > Google offers me https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kexec (140915) &
11 > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/294573 (this list 141126).
14 In general kexec itself hasn't really changed much recently. You load
15 a kernel/etc, and then exec it.
16
17 What may very well have changed is tools used by openrc and such to
18 launch it. That guide obviously doesn't explain how to do it with
19 systemd either. I'm pretty sure you just have to load your kernel at
20 some point and then run systemctl kexec to shutdown and kexec the new
21 kernel. I should probably do that more often.
22
23 What I haven't gotten to work lately is a crash kernel. With all my
24 btrfs panics of late it would sure be handy for troubleshooting...
27 Rich