From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Software for LCD Data Center
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 12:37:05
1 Stroller <stroller <at> stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:
2
3 > I wonder whether there is some way to connect my home
4 > Gentoo server to the telly? Is there any linux
5 > application/specific Samba configuration/...?
6 > Have anyone tried anything similar?
7
8 Not yet.
9
10 > DNLA is rubbish
11
12 Prophetic response. DNLA is just another "vendor speak" where the
13 manufacturer's wants to lock you into using closed source options
14 where they have a vested financial interest in channeling your usage.
15 It's not intended for Linux folks to do as you please. Microsoft
16 or Apple tainted type of assimilation is the goal....
19 A possible coarse of action might be to apple to those fancy, vendor
20 intended services directly from your telly (like netflix).
21 Then sniff the data traffic to figure out how the software works.
22 Find an open source equivalent and see if it works. Surely some
23 group of hackers are working on a solution to use those ethernet
24 ports on the newer Telly. I have an ethernet port on my newest
25 55" telly, but my experience is it takes tons of time in the
26 early days of such, before a viable (compatible) hack exist to
27 use the resource (in this case an ethernet on a telly) as
28 you please with linux. Or just monitor and search periodically
29 until some hack becomes available. I hope I'm wrong,
30 but this is the pattern that seems unchangeable and
31 adopted by most new manufacturers.
32
33 I just googled for "panasonic linux SOC" and found this
34 as a starting point for your research:
35
36 http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Panasonic-UniPhier-MN2WS0220-/
37
38 The Arm Cortex A9 is a very common core
39 (System on a Chip) that runs embedded linux most of the
40 time....
41
42 Happy Hunting,
43 hth,
44
45 pist: when you find a solution, do post back to us!
46
47 James