From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] Running cryptsetup under mdev
Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 18:57:44
1 On 7 May 2014 20:11:10 CEST, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >On Wed, May 07, 2014 at 08:11:02AM +0200, J. Roeleveld wrote
3 >> On Tuesday, May 06, 2014 05:34:52 PM Walter Dnes wrote:
4 >> >
5 >> > Unfortunately, mdev != udev. People running RAID have problems
6 >too.
7 >>
8 >> I know it isn't. I just find it strange that LVM can't work without
9 >> udev when I see options which configure the LVM-tools to either
10 >> double-check udevs actions or even completely bypass udev:
11 >
12 > Thanks for the pointer. After turning off the udev-related options in
13 >lvm.conf, I'm getting /dev/mapper device nodes as expected.
14
15 That is good. Now if only mdadm can be confirmed to work with mdev. I could try it on one of my machines.
16
17 > I still
18 >can't get cryptsetup to work with LUKS, but it works fine *WITHOUT*
19 >LUKS
20 >as per instructions at
21 >http://sleepyhead.de/howto/?href=cryptpart#woluks
22 >In my case, the initial setup was...
23 >
24 >cryptsetup -y create usbkey1 /dev/sdb1
25 >mkfs.ext2 /dev/mapper/usbkey1
26 >mount -t ext2 /dev/mapper/usbkey1 /mnt/usbkey1
27 >umount /mnt/usbkey1
28 >cryptsetup remove usbkey1
29 >
30 >...and subsequent sessions...
31 >
32 >cryptsetup -y create usbkey1 /dev/sdb1
33 >mount -t ext2 /dev/mapper/usbkey1 /mnt/usbkey1
34 >...do whatever...
35 >umount /mnt/usbkey1
36 >cryptsetup remove usbkey1
37 >
38 > The setup and teardown commands have to be done as root, but I've
39 >chowned /mnt/usbkey1 to waltdnes:users and confirmed that I can create
40 >and delete files and directories as a regular user.
41
42 The create and remove commands with LUKS also require root. They use a session manager in desktop environments to allow users to do it. Sudo with a secure wrapper script might be sufficient for you?
43
44 I was wondering. What is the actual reason why cryptsetup has a LUKS and non-LUKS set of options?
47 Joost
51 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.