From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Accessing a Samsung phone and it's data.
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 18:35:17
1 On 2019-07-31, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I wonder, if I bought a bluetooth USB thingy and put that on my
4 > puter, would that help any?
5
6 I'm not sure what you're asking about it helping, but bluetooth is
7 slow and sort of futzy.
8
9 > Since I hooked up my wifi router and it uses that,
10 > would that help?
11
12 Wifi is by far the simplest way to get network connectivity between
13 phone and computer. When combined with an FTP or SSH/SCP/SFTP server
14 on the phone, I've found it to be a fast and reliable way to transfer
15 files back and forth.
16
17 > Or is the USB cable directly connected the best way?
18
19 With the USB cable, you've got two options: MTP and USB-teather.
20
21 For me, Linux<->Android MTP support sort of works some of the time.
22 The last time I tried it, I couldn't get it to work, and switched to
23 using Wifi+FTP.
24
25 USB "teathering" provides what looks to the Linux desktop as a network
26 interface (with the phone acting as a router). For me that usually
27 "just works". When I want to transfer files, my phone is usually
28 already connected to the local network via Wifi, so that's what use.
31 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! ... the HIGHWAY is
32 at made out of LIME JELLO and
33 gmail.com my HONDA is a barbequeued
34 OYSTER! Yum!