From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Looong delays
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 16:22:50
1 On 12/02/2009 05:10 PM, Willie Wong wrote:
2 > On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 12:32:20PM +0100, Penguin Lover Jes??s Guerrero squawked:
3 >> On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 13:22:38 +0200, Dirk Uys<dirkcuys@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> This has been bothering me for some time now. I have a Dell PC at work,
5 >>> Intel Core2 Duo with 4gb ram etc. Whenever something does a lot of disk
6 >>> access, the PC slows down to a halt?
7 >
8 >>> The application that is mostly involved when I get
9 >>> these long delays is FireFox, VMWare and emerge (emerge --sync).
10 >>
11 >> I know I am hitting at the obvious, but I can't be sure you already
12 >> checked that.
13 >>
14 >> Since the applications you are using can be quite intensive in memory
15 >> usage, did you check whether you are hitting swap or not?
16 >
17 > I realize that Firefox is a memory hog, but how many tabs must be open
18 > for Swap to hit severely on a machine with 4gb ram? :)
19 >
20 > Question in general: emerge --sync and VMWare I can see, but why does
21 > FireFox require heavy disk access?
22
23 It does not require heavy disk access. It does however do frequent
24 accesses. Due to the kernel problems with simultaneous disk I/O on
25 desktop systems, apps freeze regardless of whether their disk access is
26 "heavy" or not. The disk I/O code in the Linux kernel is probably
27 written with servers in mind, not desktops, and you need to work around
28 this with ionice, which I wrote about in another post.