From: "张韡武" <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Does USB devices share bandwidth?
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 02:08:24
1 Thank you for all the answers so far:)
2
3 Jarry explained the bandwidth a printer consume cannot be too high for
4 USB 2.0 slots. This knowledge is very helpful, however at this moment
5 the sparc box only have USB 1.x slot, driven by ohci, as I explained.
6
7 Richard Fish kindly explained the mechanism behind print processing, a
8 printer make take a lot of time to process the data already sent. In my
9 case I completely forgot to mension I was using inkjets, the inkjet
10 takes rastered image data produced by GutenPrint. Thus I assume most
11 image processing is done on the print server, which is usually at 30%
12 load when printing, that means it should be able to handle another
13 printer.
14
15 Richard also suggested upgrading to a network printer, so far it is a
16 very good solution too for my case.
17
18 I think James provided most helpful information for my case, and thank
19 you for so detailed and careful explanation. As he suggested I try to
20 look for more hadwar data. It turns that my USB device is not USB 2.0
21 but I also noticed the two USB slots have diferent membase and IRQ.
22
23 I wish to compare the sparc station with my desktop. On my x86 desktop
24 there are 4 USB slots, dmesg shows that two UHCI device discovered,
25 further on each device, a uhub of two slots are discovered. From my
26 understanding, the situation of "Sharing bandwidth" James described
27 should happen between two USB devices on the one same chip, on one uhub.
28 For two devices, they perhaps don't share resource. In my case, my two
29 USB 1.0 slots seems to be hot using a uhub, shall the two printer
30 compete for resource on this situation too?
31
32 Another small question I hope someone with professional knowledge can
33 help. I was told ECP/bidirectional printer cable can handle 2Mbps data
34 transfer, that seems to be suggesting using parallel cable is as good as
35 using USB1 cable (as USB1 is supposed to handle 1.2Mbps ony), or even
36 better. Is it true?
37
38 Here is my lsusb when I just tried to plug another USB printer and make
39 all slots occupied.
40 # lsusb
41 Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
42 Bus 002 Device 002: ID 03f0:1617 Hewlett-Packard
43 Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
44 Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04b8:0005 Seiko Epson Corp. Stylus Printer
45
46 Here is part of my dmesg
47 host/usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0x1ff00520000, IRQ 10,7d4
48 host/usb-ohci.c: usb-02:02.0, NEC Corporation USB
49 usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
50 hub.c: USB hub found
51 hub.c: 3 ports detected
52 host/usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0x1ff00522000, IRQ 10,7d5
53 host/usb-ohci.c: usb-02:02.1, NEC Corporation USB (#2)
54 usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
55 hub.c: USB hub found
56 hub.c: 2 ports detected
57 hub.c: new USB device 02:02.0-1, assigned address 2
58 usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x4b8/0x5) is not claimed by any active
59 driver.
60 usb.c: registered new driver hid
61 hid-core.c: v1.8.1 Andreas Gal, Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@××××.cz>
62 hid-core.c: USB HID support drivers
63 usb.c: registered new driver usblp
64 printer.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 2 if 0 alt 0 proto 2
65 vid 0x04B8 pid 0x0005
66 printer.c: v0.13: USB Printer Device Class driver
70 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list