From: Jeff <jmg_071769@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo USB CD-ROM 'root block device is unspecified'
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 20:10:46
1 Hey all.
2
3 I have these big fatty Dell blade servers, and the only way I've found
4 to install Gentoo on them is to use a USB CD-ROM drive, but when booting
5 from the CD-ROM, I get:
6
7 Determining root device...
8 The root block device is unspecified or not detected.
9 Please specify a device to boot, or "shell" for a shell...
10 boot() ::
11
12 I've followed some instructions per:
13
14 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Dell_Latitude_X1#Booting_the_Gentoo_LiveCD
15
16 ... but alas, my drive *is* detected as sr0, and I've followed the rest
17 of the instructions to the tee, even where you mknod, and then the CD
18 fails with a kernel panic.
19
20 Any idears?!@#
21
22 Thanks!
23
24 -Jeff
27 Luke Skywalker:
28 What a piece of junk!
29 Han Solo:
30 She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may
31 not look like much but she's got it where it counts,
32 kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list