From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian forked, because of systemd brouhaha
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 03:32:25
1 On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 9:01 PM, Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
2 > I am already really annoyed that by default
3 > systemd and apps designed to work with it leave traces on openrc based
4 > systems.
5
6 You're getting worked up about text files and filenames. I suppose
7 you'll be really upset that bash completion files are now being
8 installed by default, and packages install logrotate configs and cron
9 scripts even if you don't use logrotate or cron.
10
11 Sure, we could add a million more layers of conditionals to everything
12 and you might save a few dozen inodes on your 10GB install, at the
13 cost of lots of hassle/bugs/etc. In general Gentoo tends to take the
14 pragmatic approach. If you're a purist of just about any kind you're
15 going to have to hold your nose. However, this cuts both ways - the
16 purists who don't want YOU to be able to make the choices YOU want to
17 make also have to hold their noses. :)
20 Rich